Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who Is It You Want?

Still in the Garden of Gethsemane, we read in John's Gospel (18:1-11) that Jesus asked the same question twice: Who is it you want? Have you ever wondered why did Jesus ask this question? Let me suggest three reasons:
First, Jesus wanted His adversaries to Declare their intent. By making them state their intentions, Jesus got them 'on the record.' There would be no mistaking the fact that they were there to arrest Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus, God's only Son, was the One who would be arrested and killed. Like the arresting officers, we must acknowledge that our sin cost the life of God's one and only Son. When asked who should die for our sins, we too must reply, Jesus of Nazareth. The only other option is that we will be charged and condemned - not the innocent man who, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked, 'Who is it you want?'
Secondly, Jesus wanted to Display His identity. Three times Jesus admits that He is Jesus of Nazareth. Specifically, He says, "I am he." Actually, in the Greek, He simply says, "I am." By identifying Himself as the I AM, Jesus is making a claim to deity. This is the name Moses heard in Exodus 3:14 when he encountered God at the burning bush. For a moment, perhaps offering Judas and those with him one last chance to repent, Jesus revealed His majesty. John tells us that when Jesus said this, they drew back and fell to the ground. (v6) When we see the true, uncloaked majesty of Jesus and hear His powerful word we will fall down too!
Finally, Jesus wanted to Defend His followers: By making the officials single Him out as the person they were looking for, Jesus was able to say, "If you are looking for me, then let these men go. (v8) Notice that Jesus is calling the shots! As they are picking themselves up off the ground and dusting off their robes and weapons, they find themselves outmatched by the one man they came to arrest. Jesus' command to let the disciples go serves two purposes. He is protecting them from harm by the officers. Even after Peter takes an ill-advised swipe at Malchus' head (v 10), they are all allowed to leave. "This happened so that the words [Jesus] had spoken would be fulfilled: 'I have not lost one of those you [God, the Father] gave me.'" (v9) Like those earliest disciples, we are safe in the hands of Jesus.
I believe Jesus also saved them from themselves. I believe He knew that they would not have been able to stand up under the strain of arrest, imprisonment, and perhaps execution. It would be more than they could handle and I think He knew that. Remember, they were not yet indwelt with the Holy Spirit and they were vulnerable to shrinking back. So are we when we live by our own strength. Spend time in God's Word, in prayer, and with other believers so that God's Spirit will be able to keep you strong in the face of danger and opposition.
Jesus, the Great Shepherd, when His life was at stake, laid down His life for His Sheep - exactly as He had said (John 10:11-18):

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. They hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me - just as the Father knows me and I know the Father - and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them in also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life - only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again.

From Grace, George.

No comments:

Post a Comment